Grandfathering Licenses Frequently Asked Questions
What is "Grandfathering" of a registered contractors license?
Grandfathering allows a currently registered contractor to apply for and receive a state certified contractor's license in their same category of licensure without sitting for the state contractor's examination if the contractor meets certain criteria set forth in Section 489.514 Florida Statutes.
What are the requirements I must meet for my registered license to be "grandfathered"?
In order to have your registered contractor's license grandfathered, you must:
- Currently hold a valid state-registered license in one of the contractor categories defined in Section 489.505(2)(a)&(b), (12), (19), Florida Statutes.
- Have, for that category, passed a written, proctored examination that the board finds to be substantially similar to the examination required to be licensed as a certified contractor under this part. For purposes of this subsection, a written, proctored examination such as that produced by the National Assessment Institute, Block and Associates, NAI/Block, Exterior Assessments, Professional Testing, Inc., or Assessment Systems, Inc., shall be considered to be substantially similar the the examination required to be licensed as a certified contractor. The board may not impose or make any requirements regarding the nature or content of these cited examinations.
- Have at least 5 years of active state-registered experience as a contractor in that contracting category, at the time of application.
- Have not had your contractor's license revoked at any time, had your contractor's license suspended within the last 5 years, or been assessed a fine in excess of $500 within the last 5 years.
- Be in compliance with the insurance and financial responsibility requirements in Section 489.515(1)(b), Florida Statutes
When will I be able to apply to have my registered license grandfathered?
House Bill 269, which passed during the 2013 legislative session, will re-open and extend the time period for contractors to request that their registered contractor's license be grandfathered to a state wide certified contractor's license beginning July 1, 2013. All application for grandfathering must be postmarked no later than November 1, 2015 to be considered for grandfathering.
What is the application fee for grandfathering?
Contact our office today for a free quote!